Conversation with Video
Matthew 5:4 – “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.”
Discussion With The Video
- Question 1: Why do we have a tendency to escape the sadness we experience in suffering?
- Question 2: What did Pierre say we can do to position ourselves to receive the comfort of the Holy Spirit?
- Question 3: What do you think Pierre meant when he said, “Jesus was not declaring behavior modification. Jesus was pointing to the power of the gospel that brings change from the inside out.”
- Question 4: How can mourning draw us closer to God?
- Question 5: How can we apply this beatitude this week?
- Question 6: Consider the following quote by Charles Spurgeon and discuss how his insights challenge us to apply this verse to our lives.
“When a man is converted, the first operation of the grace of God within his soul is to give him true poverty of spirit, so the first beatitude is ‘Blessed are the poor in spirit’… Then comes the second beatitude; ‘Blessed are they who mourn.’ First there is true knowledge of ourselves; and then a sacred grief arising out of that knowledge.”
- Question 7: As you read the following passages, what connections can you make to the beatitude we are discussing today? (John 15:26, Romans 8:22-26)